Moving into a new apartment soon? Use this checklist to not miss a beat and make the move as smooth as possible!
6 to 8 Weeks Before You Move:
- Create a file for every document relating to the move to keep organized and in one easy place.
- Review your current lease so you know how you should inform your landlord that you’re going to vacate.
- Looking into hiring professional help for moving? Start pricing out options now. TaskRabbit can help with finding a mover to fit your needs.
- Gather supplies such as boxes and tape to start the packing process. It’s better to get ahead of it before it becomes crunch time.
- Explore the neighborhood you’re going to be living in! Take a drive around and
checkoutnearby shopping and restaurants.
4 to 5 Weeks Before You Move:
- Start going through your items and donate any items you don’t need or haven’t used over a period of time. Getting rid of what you can
meansless stuff to pack!
- Finalize your moving arrangements with the moving company, your new apartment complex, and any help you’ll need from
family / friends.
- Start packing nonessentials. Separate your valuables from everything else so they don’t get mixed up or damaged during the move. We love these tags for boxes.
- Fill out your change of address form provided by the U.S. Postal Service.
- Schedule cancelation or transfer of your utilities.
2 to 3 Weeks Before You Move:
- Change address with your bank and any mail service companies (Amazon, box subscriptions, magazines, etc.).
- Finish making arrangements with the utility companies.
- Review your current lease for any cleaning that is required and schedule a cleaning day. Use Care.com to have someone do it in the case you just don’t have time for that.
1 Week Before You Move:
- Finish packing. You’re almost there!
- Pack one essentials suitcase for everything you’ll need for the first two nights at your new place.
- If you have access to your new place, give it a thorough cleaning to get ready for the move.
- Confirm the installation date of your new utilities and details with the moving company.
- Setup rent payment for your new apartment.
- Have your favorite treat for finishing packing. Wine and chocolate could do the trick
- Deep breath. You can do this!
- Before turning in the key for your old apartment, do one final walk through making sure you didn’t miss anything. Complete any cleaning required in your lease.
- After your items have been moved into your new place, plan the unpacking process one room at a time and by priority items.
- Go to dinner (and take the family and friends that helped you too) or order in, whatever works!